Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 1, 2013

Love, Love me do



Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.

The Beatles sang about love very often, and even though (or maybe because) they were doped up for most of their lives, they nailed it every single time.

I am constantly amazed by the sheer power of love to alter and define our lives. Shakespeare said “love is blind”. Now that is something I (and everyone who’s ever been in a relationship with me) know to be true. For some quite inexplicably, love fades; for others love is simply lost. But of course love can also be found, even if just for one night.

And then, there’s another kind of love: the cruelest kind. The one that almost (but not quite) kills its victims, it’s called unrequited love.

Cruel yet delightful, Painful yet Intoxicating, How many of us know that feeling, when every compliment is magnified and every criticism however slight is enough to send us into a depression for weeks?

The Great poet Robert Frost once said "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." These poets write some good stuff, I wonder why so many of them are only famous after they die.

The most wonderful thing about love is, we can find it in the strangest places, like hanging on the door of a virar fast with the wind blowing in your hair, rushing through the stations of Bombay, a beautiful sunset walk, a quiet dinner with a loved one, a noisy evening in your favorite bar or even watching your favorite football team winning a trophy (again) in the company of your friends.

"We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it". – John Lennon, a poet who perhaps should have taken his own advice more often.

Love however, is not for the faint of heart! You only have to read the Agony Aunt columns in the papers to know that, the problems range from “we’re 17 and want to get married but our parents don’t approve” to “my fiance and I had oral sex, will she get pregnant!” the answer to that by the way is a resounding NO. (Thank you, Dr Watsa)

And of course there’s my personal favorite, the most COMMON one – “I’m in love with this girl but I’m scared of asking her because I don’t want to break our friendship”

What’s all this nonsense of "losing friendship" anyway? Who says if you’re rejected, you've lost a friend? Sure it’s awkward for a bit, but only if you don’t use your brains and insist on sulking about it. If someone isn't attracted to you, then that's that.

What we don’t realize is, we have been handed a GIFT, it’s not everyone who gets to love someone as much as you do, if it’s unrequited then so be it. A guy with a really long nose once said “It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all” And he was right.

Anyway you know what they say, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again. Eventually you’ll get what you want, even if what you want changes.

I think it’s actually a little scary, we all SAY we’re in love, but how many of us are actually willing to give up all that we hold dear and plunge headfirst into love like the heroes of yore?  Young Lochinvar would be turning in his grave right now.

For that matter how many of us are willing to give up ANYTHING for love? We all think we don't have too, but sometimes we do

I'm no different,  in fact as an ex girlfriend brutally pointed out when I was writing this, I’m probably the last person who should talk or write about love.

But I do know what love is, in a vague sort of way,  love is when you can't stop thinking about someone, when they walk into a room, your mood lightens and you can't stop yourself from smiling, you make a fool of yourself around her and when you feel a bit weird in your stomach (no it’s not gas!)

There are so many different kinds of love in this world, Love for parents, love for children, love for friends, girlfriends wives etc etc. Oh and love for food! Specifically steak!

Love is a confusing emotion, it makes fools of us all, we don’t know exactly when we love or why we love, sometimes we don’t even know who we love. All we know is that we can’t live without the person we love, for however long we love them, and yet, we don’t tell them enough.

Sometimes we say and do things we regret very bitterly, but we cant undo them. So we pay the price and try and act snarky about it. But at the end of the day guilt fades, but love is forever.

This article has been written to make people laugh, I hope I succeeded in that, but I also hope that you all think about whom you love most and tell them. Because communication is basically what it’s all about. 

So many fights can be stopped with those three little words “You were right”

I meant "I love you"

I did!

Shakespeare also said “Such is my love, to thee I so belong, that for thy right myself will bear all wrong.”

Now that’s a showstopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment